So for clarity the Giant Squid and the Colossal Squid are completely different. Below I provide a list that you can print out and keep in your wallet or purse along with your Seafood Watch card.
- The two are not even that related other than that both are squid. The Giant Squid is from the genus Architeuthis and the Colossal Squid from Mesonychoteuthis
- The Giant Squid is longer but the Colossal Squid is bigger.
- The Colossal Squid has hooks. It weighs half ton and has hooks on its tentacles. Think of that the next time you take a dip
- The beak of the 495kg Colossal Squid individual was 42.5 mm. Beaks up to 49 mm have been found in the stomachs of sperm whales. This greatly exceeds those of Architeuthis in size and robustness.
- The eye of the Colossal Squid is bigger than the Giant Squid. In fact the eye is the largest eye of any animal. Kevin belongs to a sect that believes is you stare into the giant eye you can see God.
- The Colossal Squid can cloak itself similar to a Klingon Bird of Prey
- Did I mention hooks?
- So overall the Colossal Squid is the largest invertebrate on earth with special powers that stem from its large eyes, possesses stealth technology, and massive tentacles lined with razor-sharp hooks. The Giant Squid is cute cuddly one.
*One of these teuthologists (I love that title) is DSN’s field correspondent (although no one has told him yet) and generally the coolest scientist we all know, Steve O’Shea.