A blog war is starting to develop again. No I am not talking about this one. I am talking about the Great Invertebrate Wars. Everything was quiet until someone had to stir the pot. GIW I took many causalities with molluscs taking the clear win. Which invertebrate group will take GIW II? If polls are accurate, and like Fox News I like to think they are, the winner is the Molluscs with 37%! The next closest group, Cnidaria with a measly 17%, is so far away we should close the polls early. What Cnidarians? A few stinging cells and some carbonate skeletons and everyone is throwing a freakin’ party. Big whoop! Arthropods with 14% don’t even have a fighting chance. How many times can you elaborate on the jointed exoskeleton? Give me a break! Well finally people are coming to their senses. Where are your precious echinoderms with a laughable 9% now Chris? What was that Bora? I can’t hear you over all the winning! Who else wants a piece?
So without further ado, the 10 reasons why Molluscs are the best.
- More body size range than any other group. The biggest invertebrate? A mollusc! And it has hooks!
- Way over 100,000 molluscs! [Insert your comment about how there are millions of arthropods here] Blah, blah, blah…they all look the same and that is some lame estimate based on beetles.
- Fear and respect the radula
- Snails with hair. We got them! Snails with iron. We got them! Snails with spikes that are just plain bad ass. We got them to!
- They will eat your wood, suck out your innards, and gnaw on your gills!
- Hermaphrodites, multiple partners, and sequential lovin’!
- Aplacophoras…I bet you didn’t even know about these? They are like crawling bristle brushes.
- Bernoulli referred to it as the miraculous spiral and others referred to it as the golden spiral for its relation to the golden ratio and Fibonacci numbers. The logarithmic spiral possesses unique mathematical properties such that as the size of the spiral increases the shape remains unaltered. You can’t throw a Bernoulli or a Fibonacci without hitting one in the molluscs! Where else to they occur in metazoans? No where!
- Because of this, this, and this!
- Vampire squids from hell! HELL!
Make sure you stay tuned here for updates as the situation develops and the #invwar hashtag on Twitter