Hat tip to gCaptain for bringing this to my attention. The NYK Line has released more information on their Super Eco Ship concept design.
Highlights of this design include:
- 9MW of solar panels covering the entire topside cargo area
- Retractable sails between each cargo bay
- Self-unloading cargo bays
- Superconducting power link between the forward engine room and the aft thrusters
- Modular design that allows complete separation of the bow and stern from the middle cargo area (somewhat like an ITB, but the cargo ship version)
- Powered by modular LNG fuel cells
- sleek, low wind resistance design
I for one would like to see this on the oceans. Check out the concept video here.