In looking over Swimming With Sharks, I came across this video of Sea Shepard ramming a Japanese whaling ship. Appalled is the best word I can think of to describe my reaction. I am no whale hugger (Give me invertebrates or give me death!) but of course those big charismatic megafauna are worthy of conservation. I definitely don’t approve of Japanese “scientific whaling”. I support strong measures and conservation NGO’s.
However, there is so many things wrong with Sea Shepard’s actions I don’t know where to start.
- Ramming another vessel is against every maritime code and general sense of decency I can think of.
- For a captain to put both his own vessel and crew at risk but another as well, intentionally, is beyond forgiveness.
- To conduct such an act that serves absolutely no function other than showboating or putting on a good show for television crews is cheap
- To waste donation money for boat repair, given the three points above, is unethical and betrays the confidence of donors.
- For a certain media company who owns this channel to be involved in such stunts, when the purported mission of said group is supposedly education, is hypocritical among many other not so nice terms.